Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Artist Point on a Stormy Friday Afternoon



Last weekend my plan was to head up to Grand Portage and spend the weekend with Travis. Originally I was going to head up after work on Thursday but work made me change those plans so I headed up Friday morning.



The plan was to shoot along the shore as I drove north but I really didn't see anything worth stopping for so I just ended up driving straight to Grand Marais.


I was meeting my friend Don Davison in Grand Marais to give him some Lefse. He said he was heading out to Artist Point to shoot the crashing waves. I figured I had a half hour or so and decided to head out there with him. I'm sure glad I did.


The weather was quite mild, for February, in the upper 20s lower 30s. Even with the wind blowing it wasn't to bad. The lake was rather angry and was putting on quite a show.


This was the first time I was using my new ice cleats and they sure worked out very well. Ice abound on artist point and I was very sure footed with the ice cleats. We walked around shooting these images.


A half hour turned into a good hour and a half as I worked myself all over both sides of Artist Point. By the time I returned to the car I was exhilarated and soaked.


I stood in one spot knowing I was going to get some spray but got alot more than I was expecting. Got my clothes soaked and my camera all wet. The camera was fine and after changing my pants back as the car I was reasonably dry.


From there it was off to Grand Portage with some treasures in my camera and a great experience behind me. Just another grand day on the North Shore.

Roger
(-:)






1 comment: