Sunday, January 1, 2012

December Trip West - Day 21 - High Road to Taos




Today I took the 'High Road to Taos'  If you took the low road you no doubt beat me since it took the whole day, which was the plan.  I'm going to start off with a horse I met.  I was driving around Nambe, New Mexico when I came upon this old adobe structure I wanted to photograph.  I got out of the car, walked up the embankment and as soon as I did this horse came walking over.  Turned out to be a real sweet horse.  She let me scratch her head, cheeks and neck.  I'm getting braver with horses now that Carolyn is in my life.




Speaking of Nambe I drove over to the Old Nambe Pueblo.  The pueblo was supposed to have a nice plaza and church. As I turned off the paved road onto the dirt road leading to the pueblo I passed a truck, driving slowly scoping me out.  I waved and he cautiously waved back and I kept going.  Just as I was about to enter the pueblo I saw a sign 'No Photos Please'.  Seeing as though that's what I was after and wishing to respect the residence wishes I was about to turn around when a truck pulls up next to me.  The lady driver rolled down her passenger window and ask if she could help.  I said I came to take photos, saw the sign and was leaving.  Correct answer.  She smiled and drove away.  The part of the pueblo I saw was exactly what I was hoping to photograph but it was not to be.


Chimayó to visit Santuario


The next stop was Chimayó to visit Santuario de Chimayó.  Santuario de Chimayó was built in 1816 and is considered the most important Catholic pilgrimage center in the United States receiving 300,000 visitors per year.  Some of those 300,000 visitors were there today witnessed by the people in the images.


Chimayó to visit Santuario


Apparently the church is known for it's cures and the holy dirt pilgrims take home in hopes of a miraculous cure for themselves or someone who could not make the trip.  I went into the church and wish I could have photographed it but that's not allowed.  A small chapel adjoining the church contained the holy dirt as well as mementos of those 'cured', shoes, crutches, pictures and other items.


San Jose de Gracia
San Jose de Gracia


Next it was on to Las Trampas and the San Jose de Gracia church.  Erected between 1760 and 1776, this is one of the best-preserved and most representative examples of the Spanish Colonial churches in New Mexico.  The church was locked so I couldn't get inside.  I was particularly looking to make images with interesting aspects of the churches not necessarily including the entire church.


San Lorenzo
 
From Las Trampas I stopped at Picuris Pueblo to photograph the church there, San Lorenzo church.  After the experience with Nambe Pueblo I was a little hesitant entering Picuris until I noticed a Visitors Welcome sign that directed visitors to the Museum to purchase a permit.  I went over to the Museum but it was obvious it had closed some time ago and I was directed by a sign on the door to the admin building across the street.  Of course no one was there being Jan 1st so there was no one to get a permit from.  Since the church was right there I decided it was ok to make some images.  


San Lorenzo
San Lorenzo
 
The church is a few hundred years old and has recently undergone 8 years of restoration by the residents.  This was my favorite church to photograph.  Since Christmas has just passed there are alot of Christmas ornaments adorning the churches.  I bet the churches really look nice at night all lit up but the ornaments are a bit distracting in photographs.  San Lorenzo didn't have any such ornamentation.


San Francisco de Asis


Last stop was at San Francisco de Asis in Ranchos de Taos.  Construction on the church began around 1772 and was completed in 1815.  It's a few miles south of Taos Pueblo and has inspi
red some of the greatest artists of recent time, Ansel Adams, Paul Strand and Georgia O'Keeffe.


San Francisco de Asis

The day ended in Taos New Mexico.  Tomorrow morning I'll visit Taos Pueblo.  I'm quite excited.

Roger
(-:)



No comments:

Post a Comment