Tuesday, April 16, 2013

2013 Spring Trip - Day 5 - From Farmington to Escalante

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Today is another travel day.  I remember when I lived in Calif. and traveled to Arizona, which I did often, it would take me less than a day.  One trip I met a couple in Monument Valley that traveled 2 full days to get there.  I remember how lucky I was.  Now I’m in their situation.  But I’m not complaining since I really like cross country travel.




I woke up around sunrise.  I decided to bypass sunrise and get up when I get up.  The parking lot was still empty so I had the place to myself.  Yesterday afternoon I’d met a couple what was asking about the hoodoos on the west side of the road.  I’d heard about them but had not seen them.  Since I had some time, and was trying to not be in a hurry, I decided to look for them.  It didn't take long, just a half mile from where I was camping, and there they were.  I got pretty excited with the discovery.  Lots of the cool stuff at Bisti is a few mile walk into the wilderness but this was just off the dirt road.  I grabbed my camera and tripod and began exploring.




True to Bisti form there were lots of photo ops.  I’m not sure how far I got into this area but I know I didn't explore the whole thing.  I just find these places so fascinating.




After a couple of hours I decided to pack up and head to Escalante, Utah where I am meeting up with the newlyweds Travis and Jessica.  We were going to meet at the BLM office in Escalante in the afternoon but I knew I wouldn't make it till after dark.  We decided to meet at a site by Devils Garden just off Hole In The Rock Road.


   

Having spent much of the previous drive going thru Nebraska and it’s rather featureless landscape the drive from Farmington to Escalante was full of wonderful sights.  Before I’d left Farmington I had eaten so when I went by the turnoff to Four Corners I had to force myself to keep going straight.  You see there is a Navajo Taco vendor there and I would have loved having a Navajo Taco, poor planning on my part.



   
This route took me thru the eastern part of Glen Canyon Recreation area, thru Hanksville then thru Capitol Reef National Park.  I’d thought of spending a night in Cathedral Valley here but decided to do it another time.

   


I arrived at the camping site where Travis and Jessica were already setup after dark, 8:30ish.  We talked a while when Travis mentioned going over to Devils Garden for a little moon shine shooting.  At first I didn't want to go but I’m glad I did.  We spent a couple hours over there and finally decided to head back to camp after midnight.




Tomorrow is a hike to Zebra and Tunnel slot canyons.


Roger
(-:)



No comments:

Post a Comment