Wednesday, December 28, 2011

December Trip West - Day 16 - White Sands


It's Tuesday December 27, Happy Birthday Kaylee.  It sure was nice seeing my family again and giving them and Carolyn a chance to get to know each other.  We had such a wonderful time.




Yesterday I took Carolyn to the airport for her safe flight home and after letting her off I was back on the road.  I had over 800 miles to Alamogordo and knew I'd be stopping somewhere along the way.  That somewhere turned out to be North Tucson, back in a Motel 6 right next to railroad tracks.  I could even hear the trains blasting their horns without my aids so it was quite loud.




I got to White Sands well before sunset and headed out to scout locations for my next three days of shooting.  It had been snowing in the area and there was quite a bit of snow still on the sand dunes.  It was virtually impossible making an image without snow showing somewhere.  Thule and I walked around a bit as sunset approached.  Fortunately there was a hint of color behind the mountains as the sun set.




I noticed there were quite a few people at White Sands, more than I remember from my first trip.  As I was setting up for sunset I had to be aware of the others enjoying the sunset as well from dune tops.  Some no doubt made it into my images.




Another thing I noticed was the lack of ripples in the sand.  The fall and winter storms had really flattened out the sand.  I had imagined using the ripples in my compositions but there really wasn't any to be found.




I have to admit I was a bit disappointed.  I'd really looked forward to spending 3 days here but I'm not off to a great start.  I'd reserved a room for three days but when I checked in I just paid for two.  We'll see what tomorrow brings with sunrise.  I can always add the other day back in if things go well.

Roger
(-:)



No comments:

Post a Comment