Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cruising Grand Portage Bay

After a very early rise for sunrise on the 3rd, 2am, Travis and I went back to his house. He hadn't really had his boat out on Lake Superior yet, other than going from the marina to his boat ramp. He discovered a gas leak during that short trip and hadn't had time to replace the hose. But morning he replaced the hose and we went for a ride over to Pete's Island, as the locals call it, officially it is Grand Portage Island. This was the first time I'd ever been out on the lake and I was struck by the clarity and beauty of the water. It was such a beautiful day.

We strolled the rocky beach and found the best skipping rocks I've seen in my life. Pete's Island used to be the center of shipping to the village of Grand Portage before roads were put in. Grand Portage Bay is so shallow the supply ships could not dock on the main land so a huge dock was build, along with the necessary buildings, on Pete's Island with the village supplies being offloaded there. There are still huge footings under water the last remains of what once was a large operation.

I was in good hands, in these very frigid waters, with the capable Captain Novitsky at the helm.

We ended our morning tour at the Little Spirit Cedar Tree. As we approached the shore I kept a keen eye out looking for the Spirit Tree. From the water it blends in well to the background even so I was able to pick it out pretty easily. Capt. Novitsky navigated the vessel close to the rocks and I was able to capture this image that would have not been possible from land. It was quite the treat to see this sacred place from the water where it has been observed for some 300 years or more.

Back to land we headed. Travis had to be at work at 10:00 that morning and I had to get back to Grand Marais to get some sleep. Yes, I felt for Travis having to go to work while I slept especially since we were to meet up again that evening and do some more shooting.


No comments:

Post a Comment