Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Minnesota's Arrowhead



I like to spend my weekends way way up on the very tip of North Eastern Minnesota on and around the reservation of the Grand Portage Band of Ojibwe. This is known as the arrowhead region of Minnesota with the reservation located at the tip of the arrow. I started coming here four and a half years ago and I've been addicted ever since.



My first photography trip was with my brother Ralph back in the fall of 2004. It was with that trip that I discovered this wonderful place. Every year since I've spend many weekends along the northern Minnesota shore of Lake Superior.

It's not real close to home, 250 miles to Grand Marais and almost 300 miles to Grand Portage, but the time in the car gives me time to anticipate the upcoming visit or reflect on the last visit.




Last winter was my first along the North Shore and provided a very different and unique experience, as well as photographic challenges (photographing at -10 degrees takes some getting used to and I'm not so sure I got used to it.). The winter provides it's own beauty with the snow and ice and extreme weather conditions. I look forward to the upcoming winter, and all the weekends between now and then, with the anticipation of a child.



These images were made last weekend on Saturday night. My friend Travis and I went out on some rocks at his parents place and quietly experienced the evenings charm. (How would you like to have this view from your parents place.) I hope in some small way my images capture the moods of the North Shore from it's gentle side to it's angry side. It is these moods that I will continue to try to capture in the future.

Roger


2 comments:

  1. Really love all the shots...I especially like the first picture.

    ReplyDelete